How That Chicken Got to Market
Poultry is big business in North Carolina, with more than 44% of all farm income in the state stemming from this industry. Nationally, North Carolina is ranked No. 2 in poultry and egg production, as well as turkey production. To boot, the state is the top exporter of poultry products in the country.
There are around 5,700 poultry farmer families in North Carolina.
Pretty egg-cellent if you ask us! Sorry yolks, we had to go there.
When it comes to the poultry industry, chickens and turkeys are used for both meat and egg production. Poultry isn’t just a money-maker for the North Carolina economy, the industry also provides over 100,000 jobs for people across the state.
Fun Chicken Facts
- The color of a chicken’s eggs is determined by the color of their ear lobes.
- The nutritional values of eggs are all the same, regardless of shell color.
- One chicken can lay over 300 eggs a year.
- On average, Americans consume 8 billion chickens per year.
- There are over 25 billion chickens in the world, more than any other bird species.