Tips for Freezing Poultry
Find more food safety tips and tools at https://foodsafety.ces.ncsu.edu.
- Freeze poultry as soon as possible!
- Always work with clean hands, preparation areas, equipment and utensils.
- Quality can be extended by storing at 0ºF or lower and packaging for frozen storage.
- Choose containers or wraps appropriate for freezing:freezer foil, wrap or bags, plastic freezing containers.
- To prep for freezing:
- Ideally wrap first in a layer of plastic wrap or freezer paper, then a layer of foil, then store in a freezer bag or plastic container.
- Multiple layers will help maintain quality and prevent freezer burn.
- Wrap tightly, pressing out as much air as possible.
- Consider freezing poultry in portions so that you only need to defrost what is immediately needed.
- Clean and sanitize equipment and surfaces after breaking down and packaging poultry.