- 1 pint jar (glass or plastic, never metal)
- 1/2 cup of tap water
- 1/2 cup of rye flour
- Paper towel
- Rubber band
- Let your water sit out overnight — this will allow the chlorine to evaporate and will prevent it from killing important microbes you need for your starter.
- Add the water and flour into the jar.
- Instead of using the lid of the jar, place the paper towel on top of the jar and secure it with a rubber band.
- Place the container in a place where the temperature is constant (around 70°F).