- 2 pounds muscadine grapes
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
- ¼ tsp. apple pie spice
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- Remove skins from muscadines; reserve skins.
- Cook pulp and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5-10 minutes or until seeds loosen.
- Press mixture through a wire-mesh strainer, discarding seeds.
- Return pulp mixture to saucepan; stir in reserved skins, lemon rind and apple pie spice.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender.
- Melt butter in an 11×7 baking dish in a 350 degree oven.
- Stir together flour, remaining 1 cup sugar and milk; pour over melted butter.
- Pour muscadine mixture over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with ice cream, if desired.