Mountain High Apple Pie
1 hr. 30 min.
- 2 pounds Crimson Crisp apples
- 2 pounds Honeycrisp apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 package pie crusts
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Peel and cut apples into quarter- to half-inch thick wedges. Toss apples with cinnamon, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and flour.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and place one pie crust in skillet over brown sugar mixture. Add apple wedges mix to pie crust, then fit second sheet of pie crust over the top. Cut slits in top layer of crust to allow venting.
- Mix egg white and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, brush across top of pie.
- Bake at 350 F for about one hour, cover with aluminum foil during the last 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.