Fresh-Pack Dill Pickles
- 8 lbs of 3- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers
- 2 gallons water
- 1 1/2 cups canning salt
- 1 1/2 quarts vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
- 3 to 5 tablespoons whole mustard seed (1 to 2 tsp. per pint jar)
- 14 heads fresh dill (about 2 heads per pint jar)
- Wash cucumbers. Cut a 1/16-inch slice off blossom end and discard, but leave 1/4 inch of stem attached.
- Dissolve salt in 2 gallons water. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 12 hours. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, sugar and 2 quarts water.
- Add mixed pickling spices tied in a clean white cloth. Heat to boiling.
- Fill jars with cucumbers. Add 1 to 2 tsp. mustard seed and 2 heads fresh dill per pint. Cover with boiling pickling solution, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Adjust lids. Process pints for 10 minutes and quarts for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.