CALS Tailgate Dry Rub
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup coarse pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Red chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- Sugar (optional)
- Sugar is a common but optional addition, particularly if you want to cut the salt flavor.
- Be careful not to add too much sugar (no more than 20% of the total rub mix), or it will caramelize when cooking.
- Add the ingredients, one at a time, into a food storage container.
- Mix well by shaking or stirring.
- Sprinkle a little of the mix onto each side of the meat.
- Always cook meats to the appropriate internal temperature to kill potential pathogens (e.g., beef and pork should reach 145ºF, poultry should reach 165ºF). Check temperature with a food thermometer at the thickest part of the meat.
View a safe cooking temperatures chart: go.ncsu.edu/Safe-Cooking-Temp.