Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
15 min to 4 hours
- 1/2 large red cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine (substitute red wine vinegar or water if desired)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt (optional)
- Instant Pot: combine all ingredients and cook on high pressure for 5 to 8 minutes. Manually vent. Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Slow cooker: combine all ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours. Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Stovetop: combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cook on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Lower heat, cover, and cook on low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add water as needed. Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf.