Banana Nut Med Muffins
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1 ½ cup chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (you can use Chinese 5 spice for a different flavor)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400° degrees.
- Line 12 muffin tins with an even layer of rice. Then line with muffin papers and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash bananas with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Add apples, nuts and eggs to the bananas; mix well.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the internal temperature of the muffin is 165° degrees.
- Remove the muffins from the muffin tin and place on a wire rack for cooling.
- Once cool, store in the refrigerator for 4-7 days.
- Batch cooking: Once muffins have cooled, individually wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and place into a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- For serving: Place muffin in the refrigerator overnight or remove plastic wrap and microwave for a few seconds.
- Not in the mood for walnuts? Feel free to substitute any nut or seed that you like. Some other options include: slivered almonds, chopped pecans, chopped pistachios, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds.
- Don’t care for nuts? Try one of the seeds above or replace the nuts with dried fruit, such as raisins, or dark chocolate morsels for a sweet treat.